Student Playwright Giorgetti Wins Bill and Rita Collins Memorial Scholarship
FRAMINGHAM – Framingham High senior Catherine Giorgetti was announced as the recipient of the 2018 Bill and Rita Collins Memorial Scholarship at the annual awards ceremony of the Framingham Cultural Council last night, April 30.
A talented actress and dancer with the award-winning Framingham High School Drama Company, Giorgetti won the $1,000 scholarship for writing a one-act play titled Overcome about sexual harassment in the workplace.
Earlier this year, her play Overcome won the Massachusetts Educational Theater Company’s 2018 Sherwood Collins Play writing Contest.
Giorgetti will attend Northeastern University in the fall, starting her collegiate career overseas in Greece.
Rita Collins was the Cultural Council administrator extraordinaire and, when she retired, a member and treasurer of the Cultural Council. She managed the grant processing procedures and the grant reimbursement procedures. She was a model of dedication and loyalty to the Cultural Council, said Framingham Cultural Council member Judy Levine, last night.
Bill Collins was also a member of Framingham Cultural Council. He designed the logo used by the Council on its letterhead. He was a dedicated volunteer for art teachers and loved all forms of the arts, said Levine
The scholarship named in their memory goes to students who are currently attending a high school in Framingham as a senior and are seeking higher education majoring in the arts. The funds for the scholarships come from donation to the Cultural Council.
Levine and Giorgetti read excerpts from her play last night.
This year, the Framingham Cultural Council chose to award Giorgetti the $1,000 Collins scholarship and awarded $100 scholarships to six other students from Framingham High and Keefe Technical schools.
The other recipients were:
- Framingham High students Molly Chan for a chalk pastel drawing called Reflections.
- Keefe Technical student Jessica Rackauskis for a watercolor/colored pencil art titled Shinedown.
- Framingham High student Ellowyn Reck for an oil on canvas titles Pretty in Plastic.
- Framingham High student Symphony Shea for a one-act play titled Dead Weight.
- Keefe Technical student Ana Sheedy for a watercolor called Cat and Fairy.
- Keefe Technical student Kassandra Tiburcio for an acrylic painting titled Lazy Days.
Photos by Susan Petroni/Petroni Media Company ©2018. All Rights Reserved.